Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Grand Tetons





"I will lift mine eyes unto the mountains from whence cometh my strength" So said the Mother Superior to Maria Von Trapp as they were headed out over the alps to escape the Nazi's. Anyone who has seen these mountains will know exactly what she was telling her. If you are not into hiking or climbing there is no reason to stay here. But if you are in Yellowstone you must take the drive out of the South Entrance and do the park loop. Every twist and turn in the road gives you a more spectacular view of this small group of mountains. Here's how you know that it was a bunch of straight horney french trappers who discovered this area. First their main pursuit was beaver and second all the mountains reminded them of breasts. Teton is french slang for tits and Grand Teton just means "Big Tits". Imagine going to Big Tits National Park.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Only you, Stuart, could describe the naming of the Grand Tetons so precisely and eloquently. Hope the trip East is as fun as the trip West. Safe travels.

Anonymous said...

Stuart & Rick
They are talking about the Grand Canyon and all it's beauty this morning, Sept. 13th, on The Today Show....

Valerie

Anonymous said...

Stuart,

I can just see you singing "The Hills Are Alive".

The pictures really are BEAUTIFUL...

Valerie

Anonymous said...

I'm not sure my previous comments have posted. I hope this one does, because I am truly amazed at your photography and commenting skills. I think you have missed your calling. Gail